Three non-contiguous parcels of land on the Bow River and downstream of Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park.
[FP, COMPLEX DUE TO LAND SWAP AND NUMBER OF LINKS. Email pending with John M.]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Comparing the circa 2010 SAPAA map  with more recent Government of Alberta GIS information shows an apparent land swap and amalgamation of the PNT. The PNT straddles two counties, Wheatland and Vulcan. Unfortunately, it is not clear from the respective landownership maps [2, 3] if the parcels were sold or transferred out of the protected area system.
Carseland is Gaelic and means a “river valley land, implying rich soil”. Originally named Greisbach after the first postmaster, it was changed to Carseland to align with the nearby CPR station of the same name . The Canadian Pacific Railway had large land holdings and organized irrigation efforts to promote a transition from open range land ranching to grain growing , obviously both following the original grassland state preceding European contact.
|Site Name||Carseland (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Foothills Fescue; Mixedgrass|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||346|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||164.97 ha. (407.64 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (All links accessed on 2023-01-20).
- County Maps – Wheatland County
- Map Room – Vulcan County
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 57.
- Carseland – Wikipedia
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.