About 7 km west of Caroline on Highway 22, this NA protects the steep banks of the Clearwater River.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO NUMBER OF LINKS]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
This site is located adjacent to the Clearwater River; steep banks; tree stands of mainly aspen & balsam poplar, and some white spruce. It is in the Boreal Forest Natural Region, Dry Mixedwood Sub-region. Operation of Off-Highway Vehicles is permitted on pre-existing trails.
Clearwater is a descriptive name for the river (as well as the lake, mountain and pass). The name was likely selected to differentiate it from the more muddy Athabasca River into which it flows. The name is likely a translation from the original First Nations name. Other names for the river include Pelican and Lower Athabasca rivers. Clearwater has been in use since at least 1814 and was noted by the Palliser Expedition in 1850 .
Ricinus a genus of plants of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae) that have large palmate leaves and flowers with numerous stamens and include the castor-oil plant (R. communis) .
Raven River flows south of the Clearwater and comes within about 1 km near this NA. Unlike the Clearwater, the Raven empties into the Red Deer and Saskatchewan watershed. Waters from these two rivers will not meet until they co-mingle in the Artic Ocean/Hudson Bay 1,500+ km north/northeast .
|Site Name||Clearwater Ricinus|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Lower Foothills|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||454/71|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||134|
|Site # (Parks Website)||532|
|Total Area||81.07 ha. (200.32 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is Information & Facilities – Clearwater Ricinus Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2023-01-05).
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 69.
- Ricinus Definition & Meaning | Merriam-Webster Medicals
- List of rivers of Alberta – Wikipedia
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.