Three NA (Hondo, Otauwau, and Saulteaux) used for research and study by the University of Alberta. They are all north of the town of Athabasca.
[FP, RECOMMEND DOING ALL THREE SITE APPROVAL AT THE SAME TIME]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Hondo, Otauwau, and Saulteaux are in close proximity to each other, separated by about 5-10 km. The University uses these sites as they represent a diversity of forest communities within easy access of Highway 2. The terrain is undulating to gently undulating with depressional areas. Vegetation includes lowland black spruce fens and upland mature white spruce forests. The area provides excellent habitat for wildlife.
Hondo is an unincorporated community in northern Alberta within the Municipal District of Lesser Slave River No. 124, located 2 km east of Highway 2, 173 km northwest of Edmonton . The locality may have been named after Hondo Texas .
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||587/87|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||341|
|Site # (Parks Website)||496|
|Total Area||410.35 ha. (1014.01 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information are: Information & Facilities – Hondo Natural Area | Alberta Parks, (All links accessed on 2023-01-DD).
- Hondo, Alberta – Wikipedia
- Peel 5240: Geographic Board of Canada, Place-names of Alberta (1928) (ualberta.ca)
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.