About 60 km northwest of St. Albert, this NA has two portions. The northern portion is on the Pembina River and the southern near to but not on Majeau Lake.
[FP, PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
The north portion of this site is a narrow stretch of land along a bank of the Pembina River. The banks are steep and actively eroding. Vegetation is primarily dense shrub, second-growth aspen and sedge wetland. The south portion has dense second-growth aspen. The south portion adjoins Majeau Lake Natural Area‘s PNT portion. The intervening land between the north and southern portions is privately owned .
A Berry Nice River. The river’s name was first recorded in 1810 by David Thompson and was thought to be a version of the Cree name which is a translation of ‘summer berry’ . The river originates south of Cadomin, at Pembina Forks. It flows eastwards for 547 km before it merges with the Athabasca River 64 km west of the town of Athabasca .
|Site Name||Pembina River|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||454/71|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||386|
|Site # (Parks Website)||560|
|Total Area||75.45 ha. (186.44 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Pembina River Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2023-02-19).
- Lac Ste. Anne County Map 2021.
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 249.
- Pembina River (Alberta) – Wikipedia.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.