Flowing southeast towards the Milk River from the Verdigris Lake, this NA protects the confluence at the Milk River. This PNT, located about 12 km north of the US/Canadian border, adjoins the central portion of Writing on Stone PP.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Green Crystalline Substance is found at Verdigris Lake and is the origin of lake and coulee’s names . Verdigris is the common name for blue-green, poisonous, copper-based pigment .
WHAT IS A COULEE? Coulee is a term applied rather loosely to different landforms that refer to a kind of valley or drainage zone. The word coulee comes from the Canadian French coulée, from the French couler meaning ‘to flow’ .
|Site Name||Verdigris Coulee (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedgrass|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||398|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||761.62 ha. (1882.00 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (All links accessed on 2023-02-18).
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 337.
- Verdigris – Wikipedia.
- Coulee – Wikipedia.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.