Named for the Victoria Settlement which is about 4 km upstream from the NA. This site is about 10 km south of Smoky Lake.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO NUMBER OF REFERENCES]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Victoria Settlement Natural Area consists of an island in the North Saskatchewan River and a small parcel of land on the river’s north bank; access to the site is difficult.
Aboriginal, Methodist, HBC, Ukrainian. Lying along the North Saskatchewan River, this historic district illustrates several facets of the settlement of the West. At this ancient Aboriginal meeting place, a Methodist Mission was founded in 1863. It was soon joined by a Hudsons Bay Company trading post. These formed the nucleus for Metis and European, particularly Ukrainian, agricultural communities, characterized respectively by the use of river and square lots. It was named Victoria Settlement, after Queen Victoria .
|Site Name||Victoria Settlement|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||454/71|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||359|
|Site # (Parks Website)||485|
|Total Area||12.02 ha. (35.00 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Victoria Settlement Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2023-01-15).
- Parks Canada – Victoria District National Historic Site of Canada (pc.gc.ca)
- Fort Victoria, Alberta – Wikipedia
- About | Victoria Settlement
- Alberta’s Victoria Settlement: Still a Special Place after 150 Years – RETROactive (albertashistoricplaces.com)
- Victoria Settlement Provincial Historic Site – Tourisme Alberta
- Victoria Settlement | The Canadian Encyclopedia
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.