Located on a tributary of Shunda Creek, this Natural Area occupies the site of an abandoned coal mine near the former mining town of Alexo. It has regenerated with mixedwood communities typical of the northern foothills.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
From 1920 to 1955, Alexo was a coal mining town, named after the Alexo Coal Mining Company . With only 30 miners and 70 employees in total, it was a small operation even at the height of production. The switch from coal to diesel in trains meant the mine became uneconomical and led to its eventual closure. A youth camp now occupies the former town site (Camp Alexo) [2, adapted].
Forests are of lodgepole pine, aspen and mixtures of the two.
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Upper Foothills/ Lower Foothills|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||584/92|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||501|
|Site # (Parks Website)||523|
|Total Area||33.39 ha. (82.50 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website.
- Information & Facilities – Alexo Natural Area | Alberta Parks (2022-01-21).
- Alexo Alberta – Wikipedia.
- “Alexo Coal Company Limited tipple, Alexo, Alberta.”, [ca. 1930-1931], (CU1135056) by Unknown. Courtesy of Libraries and Cultural Resources Digital Collections, University of Calgary.
- Alberta on Record: Alexo Coal Company.
- Alexo Coal Company, Limited fonds, Provincial Archives of Alberta (accessed 2022-01-21).