Bigoray Natural Area is a quarter site east of, but not on, the Pembina River. The similarly named Pembina Bigoray Natura Area (PNT) is south and on the river.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
The Bigoray Natural Area encompasses an area of rolling topography. A wild fire in 2012 (circa) resulted in a period when the vegetation consists mainly of second growth aspen. There are also remnant stands of mature aspen and aspen-balsam poplar (Alberta Parks web site, 2012).
A River by Many Names. The Bigoray River flows into the Pembina River roughly due west of the site . The Bigoray River received this name in 1949 and was named for William Bigoray was was killed in 1944 while serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Prior to this, the river was known as Muskeg River (likely due to the larger marshy area from which it flows). It has also been known to Europeans as Buffalo Creek and Buffalo Dung River [2, p. 30].
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||454/71|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||141|
|Site # (Parks Website)||160|
|Total Area||64.75 ha. (160.00 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Bigoray Natural Area | Alberta Parks (2022-10-29).
- List of rivers of Alberta – Wikipedia (2022-10-29)
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006.
- BIGORAY, W W – Pilot Officer (canadianfallen.ca) (2022-10-29)
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.