The site features northern salt meadows that support interesting plant communities and uncommon plants. Salt patches on the surface of the soil, give an appearance of snow or white sand.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Child Lake Meadows Natural Area * (3.9 km2), located southeast of High Level, features northern salt meadows that support interesting plant communities and uncommon plants.
The site has a diversity of habitats, from aspen forest to dry meadows to wetlands, and contains several species uncommon to northern Alberta. This is the only northern salt meadow identified with dry meadow vegetation types (salt meadows are uncommon in the Boreal Forest Natural Region. All of the major vegetation types of northern salt meadow are found here, including wet meadows. Part of the saline complex extends into the Child Lake Indian reserve.(Alberta Parks web site, 2012).
Salt patches on the surface of the soil, give an appearance of snow or white sand. The soil is extremely alkaline making it home to plants that are seldom seen in the north .
|Site Name||Child Lake Meadows|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||519/95|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||536|
|Site # (Parks Website)||959.98|
|Total Area||388.50 ha. (959.98 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Child Lake Meadows Natural Area | Alberta Parks (2022-10-31).
- Child Lake Salt Meadows (geocities.ws) (2022-10-31).
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.