The site contains many diverse and dynamic habitats because of its location on the Clearwater River as it exits the foothills.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
The Caroline NA contains many diverse and dynamic habitats because of its location on the Clearwater River as it exits the foothills. The river is constantly cutting new channels and abandoning old ones. These disturbances, along with the varied slopes and aspects of the valley’s escarpment, create an interesting patchwork of plant communities.
I suspect there is also significant groundwater discharge into the floodplain here. These stable flows of clean, cool water often create very productive habitat as they emerge in the side channels. The main channel of the Clearwater is a typical freestone river, meaning it has unstable flows and a relatively barren substrate of rocks and gravel. The spring-fed side channels are important feeding and nursery areas for fish and other aquatic life . Email Interview, T. Blake
|Site Name||Caroline (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||41|
|Site # (Parks Website)||79.07|
|Total Area||32.00 ha. (79.07 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Government of Alberta.
- Blake, T., “Re: SAPAA Asks – Caroline NA.” Received by F. Potter, 2022-11-01.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.