Frog Lake is a fixture of the Canadian consciousness in particular with respect the country’s relationship with its First Nations. The lake is located about 60 km east of St. Paul and 25 km west of the Saskatchewan border.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO THE HISTORY OF THE AREA]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
An island in the northern portion of Frog Lake. The lake itself is surrounded by First Nation or Metis settlements [1, 2].
Frog Lake Massacre. The lake is the site of an infamous even in Canadian history and part of the North-West Rebellion lead by Louis Riel. Nine individuals lost their lives in the incident and later eight of the Cree warriors were hanged . Hopefully this natural area provides a point of contemplation in respect to a dark history of this area.
|Site Name||Frog Lake Heronry (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||73|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||44.45 ha. (109.83 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (all links accessed 2023-02-19).
- Municipal-District-Ownership-Map-PDF (bonnyville.ab.ca).
- Maps – County of St. Paul (stpaul.ab.ca).
- Frog Lake Massacre – Wikipedia
Further Reading [OPTIONAL]
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.