This irregularly shaped PNT is located about 5 km west of Pine Lake.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO NUMEROUS SOURCES]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Located on and south of Highway 42, it appears this PNT has been given over to a grazing lease. Parcels of land to the east and south are similarly leased. Various conservancy groups (e.g. Ducks Unlimited) own land near to this PNT .
No Pines, Maybe Ghosts. Nearby Pine Lake is drained by Ghostpine Creek and is replenished from run off and aquifers . The name is a shortened form from Ghostpine. This name was given to the area after a battle between the Cree and Blackfoot. Since then, the area is thought to be haunted. Technically the name should have been ‘Ghost-spruce’ as pine was a mis-translation of the Cree word for spruce .
|Site Name||Pine Lake (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Parkland|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||47|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||60.61 ha. (149.78 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (all links accessed on 2022-12-27).
- Red Deer County – Document Center (civicweb.net)
- Pine Lake – The Lake (pinelakealberta.com)
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 254.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.