Located about 1 km west of the Drayton Valley airport. Based on a Google map survey, the site is increasingly surrounded by urbanization.
[FP, Not much on the NA. I suspect this site is under considerable pressure]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Rocky Rapids Natural Area has moderately undulating terrain covered mainly with forest cover of mixedwood of aspen, white spruce, scattered paper birch, lodgepole pine and balsam poplar. There are also areas of willow shrubland and wet meadow.
Nearby Rapids in the North Saskatchewan is the origin of the name of the locality chosen by the first post master in 1909 . A pedestrian path way links this hamlet with nearby Drayton Valley .
|Site Name||Rocky Rapids|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood; Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||146/85|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||494|
|Site # (Parks Website)||564|
|Total Area||65.06 ha. (160.76 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||Hiking – front country, Horseback riding, Mountain biking/cycling|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Rocky Rapids Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2023-01-13).
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 278.
- Rocky Rapids – Wikipedia.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.