This NA is an island in Sturgeon Lake, located about 20 km west of the town of Valleyview, along Highway 43 in Northern Alberta.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO NUMBER OF LINKS]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Sturgeon Lake Natural Area (28 ha) is an island at the west end of Sturgeon Lake. It is covered in mature forest and is used by great blue heron and bald eagles.
No Sturgeons in Sturgeon Lake is a regionally important recreational lake and located 90 km east of the city of Grande Prairie. The lake has a reputation for good quality lake whitefish, and is popular for all types of boating and water sports. Speculation on the origin of the name has given rise to two possibilities. One is that a family named Sturgeon once lived nearby; the other is that a visitor who paddled up the outlet creek named the lake for the sturgeon, which also travels upstream. The lake bottom is firm and slopes gently, so that 90 m offshore the water is only about 2 m deep .
|Site Name||Sturgeon Lake|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||786/87|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||218|
|Site # (Parks Website)||504|
|Total Area||4.49 ha. (11.09 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||none noted|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Sturgeon Lake Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2023-01-14).
- Mitchell, Patricia, and E. E. Prepas. “Atlas of Alberta Lakes.” Edmonton, Alberta: University of Alberta Press, 1990, p. 114.
- Sturgeon Lake (Alberta) – Wikipedia
- Sturgeon Lake – Alberta – Young’s Point Provincial Park – Williamson Provincial Park – Big Horn Campground (discoverthepeacecountry.com)
- Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation – Wikipedia
- Sturgeon Lake (Calais) – NCTR
- Sturgeon Lake Fisheries Management Objectives (mywildalberta.ca)
- Sturgeon Lake water quality monitoring report – Open Government (alberta.ca)
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.