Instructions and memory jogs for how the SAPAA site is managed. Includes technical notes as well as a general style guide.
Style Guide and Instructions
This page is intended for SAPAA members who have access to the site to contribute content. Anyone can comment on a post or a page but you need to be logged in to write a post, update a page or contribute photos.
To log in, you must have a wordpress.com account and be invited to contribute to the site. To be invited, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAPAA tries to keep non-core-content pages to a minimum. The following list of pages describes their purpose and who owns them. Pages contain stable content. Conversational or time sensitive content should go into the Newsletter or be a blog post.
Final editing is currently provided by Secretary.
- CSS and Font: The Standard Font size is Normal and black.
- URL Slug: Kept to about 25 characters or less, word press does not allow spaces (hyphens, etc.).
- Feature Image: tbd
- Excerpt: a short (<100 word) summary of the page.
- Comments: Visitors and subscribers can comment on the page
- Pages Not allowed: Home, Contact Us, Newsletters
- Pages allowed: all pages on Protected Areas
- Parent Page: set by the webmaster.
Use of Headings, Anchors and Page Length
- Headers should be used if the text is more than about half a printed page in length.
- A table of contents at the top of the page and anchors throughout are used if the page is more than about one printed page in length.
- Ideally web pages should be no more than about two total printed pages in length.
- A protected area page is the exception to the above length limit; see the protected area style guide for reference.
Provides an overview of SAPAA. This page is owned by the President with suggestions from the executive.
Current executive of SAPAA. This page is owned by the President with suggestions from the executive.
Historical listing of SAPAA newsletters. This page is owned by the Newsletter editor with changes acknowledged by the President and Webmaster.
Detailed descriptions of protected areas of interest to SAPAA. These pages are owned by the President with suggestions from the executive. As this content is central to SAPAA, it has its own specific style guide.
- Links within the site (e.g., page to page) should open in the same tab.
- External links (i.e., outside of the SAPAA site) should open in a new tab.
- Anchors, Page table of contents and “Return to Top” are used for lengthy pages (e.g., Protected Areas landing page).
SAPAA has 5 levels of system access:
- Public: anyone can access the public pages. Comments are allowed on select pages but are held for moderation (or deletion if deemed spam).
- Contributor: (not currently used), a SAPAA member. Able to write blog posts, upload photos but may not publish any content. An editor must approve/publish the content. Not able to edit pages. Must have minimum WordPress skills.
- Author: (not currently used), having contributor privileges but able to post their own content. Unable to change another user’s content. Not able to edit pages. Must possess basic WordPress skills.
- Editor: Has access to all posts and pages. Must possess good WordPress skills.
- Current Editors: Chris, Krystin, Patsy and Hubert.
- System Administrator: Full power over the site: can invite people, modify the site settings, etc. Must possess very good WordPress skills.
- Current Administrator: Frank
- Theme: Twenty Twelve.