Crowsnest is a Protected Notation Natural Area located northwest of the town of Coleman in Southwest Alberta.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Where are the Crows Nests? There are multiple explanations for the origin of the name Crowsnest. The pass itself is named for the nearby mountain of the same name. The mostly likely explanation is the nesting of crows and ravens at the base of the peak. The Palliser expedition noted the name in 1859 and the translation from the original French indicates that the name pertains to the birds and not the local Crow First Nation [1, p. 80]
Who Was Coleman? The nearby mountain and town was named for Arthur Philemon Coleman. He was a geology professor in Toronto and a charter member of the Canadian Alpine Club [1, pp. 72-73].
|Site Name||Crowsnest (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||392|
|Site # (Parks Website)||155.67|
|Total Area||63.00 ha. (155.67 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta.
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.