Three small, separate
and non-adjoined areas make up this NA where the Highwood River joins the Bow, southeast of Calgary.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Highwood River Natural Area (9.79 ha) includes islands in the Bow and Highwood Rivers
that are used frequented by Canada geese and great blue herons.
Ispasquehow, Tall Timber, or Highwood are names the smaller of these two rivers have been known by. The first is
the its original Stony name given to it and noted in 1792 by explorer Peter Fidler. This river appears level flows at the same elevation as with the surrounding prairie and the trees grow exceptionally tall in on its banks .
|Site Name||Highwood River|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Natural Region(s)||Foothills Fescue|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||454/71|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||350|
|Site # (Parks Website)||512|
|Total Area||9.79 ha. (24.19 ac.)|
|Recreation Activities||canoeing/kayaking; fishing|
|Operated By||Parks Division|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is: Information & Facilities – Highwood River Natural Area | Alberta Parks (All links accessed on 2022-12-03).
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006, p. 149.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
[HT: size agrees w/ Parks Legal; Chis has it slightly bigger: 27.63 ac / 11.18 ha; due to island nature?]
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.