Three small distinct sites on the shores of Lac La Biche make up this PNT. All are on the northern shore of the lake and across from the community of Lac la Biche.
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Lac la Biche Islands (PNT) was another PNT on the lake, but this NA has since been incorporated into Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park.
The French word, biche, means doe and the name is likely descriptive of the one-time primary food source in the area, Elk. David Thompson established a wintering post here for the Northwest Company in 1798 and both the Hudson Bay and Northwest Companies had trading posts on the lake. The Lac La Biche Mission was opened in 1853 by Oblate missionaries. The town of Lac La Biche was reached by rail in 1914 [1, 2].
|Site Name||Lac La Biche (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood; Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||192|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||61.72 ha. (152.52 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta.
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006, pp. 28, 182.
- Wikipeda, Lac La Biche, Alberta.