Three distinct sites on the make up this PNT – all on the north shore of the lake and across from the community of Lac la Biche.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO MULTIPLE SOURCES]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Lac la Biche Islands (PNT) was another PNT on the lake but this NA has since been incorporated into Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park leaving just this one PNT.
The French word, la Biche means doe and the name is likely descriptive of the primary food source in the area, Elk. David Thompson established a wintering post here for the Northwest Company in 1798 and both the Hudson Bay and Northwest Company had trading posts on the lake. The Lac la Biche Mission opened in 1853 by Oblate missionaries. The town of Lac la Biche was reached by rail in 1914 [1, 2, 3].
|Site Name||Lac La Biche (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood; Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||192|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||61.72 ha. (152.52 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta – [LINK] (All links accessed on 2022-MM-DD).
- Aubrey, Merrily K., ed. Concise Place Names of Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2006; p. 28, 182.
- Lac La Biche, Alberta – Wikipedia
- Lac la Biche (Alberta) – Wikipedia
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.