This PNT adjoins the southern portion of Crimson Lake Provincial Park and is just northwest of Rocky Mountain House.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO REFERENCES]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Within close proximity to each other are three natural areas: Rocky Mountain House PNT, Crimson Lake Provincial Park, and Mill Island Natural Area. Mill Island is to the north and does not adjoin the other two. The provincial park and this PNT adjoin in one spot. is composed of two parcels of land separated by Highway 11 with intervening Crown land .
North West Company trading post was built on the north bank of the North Saskatchewan river above the mouth of the Clearwater river . The post was intended to increase the trade opportunities with competing First Nation communities who otherwise were hostile to each other. The post opened and closed a number of times before finally closing in 1875. The village benefited from the Canadian Northern Railway arriving in 1912. Farming and resource extractions were primary industries with tourism increasing in importance .
|Site Name||Rocky Mountain House (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Dry Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||45|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||210.65 ha. (520.53 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (All links accessed on 2022-12-31).
- Clearwater County – Land Ownership Maps
- Peel 5240, p. 109 (ualberta.ca)
- Rocky Mountain House – Wikipedia
- Town of Rocky Mountain House – Rocky Mountain House: a changing community (rockymtnhouse.com)
- Rocky Mountain House historic site a hub for adventure on eastern edge of Alberta’s Rockies | Globalnews.ca
- History of the Rocky Mountain House National Historic Site, Alberta (confluencehs.ca)
- Vintage Photographs from Rocky Mountain House (calgaryguardian.com)
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.