Irregularly shaped NA about 3 km south of Whitecourt. Google map imaging suggests that urban development is occurring to the east of the site.
[FP, NOT MUCH ON THIS SITE]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Sagitawah – “The place where the rivers meet” was the original name given to the region by Woodland Cree Nation. The Whitecourt region is nestled in a valley at the confluence of four waterways: Athabasca, McLeod, and Sakwatemau (Eagle) Rivers plus Beaver Creek, flowing down from the springs of House Mountain in the south.
The name Whitecourt was selected despite settlers in the area preferring the names “Sagitawah” or “McLeod Flats”. According to one account, the postmaster in nearby Green Court registered the name as Whitecourt after Walter White, who carried the mail across the trail from Green Court. Thus, Whitecourt became the official postal address and the name of the hamlet .
2016 Outstanding Individual Steward award went to the Whitecourt Candidate Natural Area .
|Site Name||Whitecourt (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||232|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||20.28 ha. (50.12 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta (All links accessed on 2022-04-23).
- Town of Whitecourt – History & Heritage (accessed 2022-04-23).
- Lesser Slave Lk. Stewards’ Conference, 9-11 September 2016; JUNE 2017 SAPAA News #35 p. 2.
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.