The PNT is named for Strawberry Creek which flows northeast from the site into the North Saskatchewan River. This NA is approximately 3 km northwest of Pigeon Lake.
[FP, MEDIUM DUE TO LINKS] [HT: This description of Strawberry Creek watershed by the NWSA is dubious in my view. How can Whitemud/Blackmud be in the Strawberry watershed? During my visit I noticed that the area drains south towards Pigeon Lake, not towards Strawberry Ck. I actually believe the NA is just outside of the Strawberry Ch watershed. How to handle controversies like this?]
[HT: Can’t get the caption to download]
Map of the Area
Any maps and map views are for general information only. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.
Strawberry Creek is one of a number of creeks that flow north towards the North Saskatchewan river. [HT: However it appears that the NA is just outside Strawberry Creek watershed.]Within the larger watershed itself, most of the landmass is covered by forests or has been developed for agriculture. The main economic base is oil and gas extraction and agriculture, including both beef and dairy cattle .
Riparian Assessment conducted for Strawberry Creek in 2002 showed most of the sample areas – 62% – being healthy, 24% were healthy with problems, and 14% scored unhealthy. The only major problem noted was the presence of the noxious weeds Canada Thistle and Scentless Chamomile . [HT: This paragraph seems not relevant]
Cree Translation. Strawberry Creek is a translation from the original Cree . Private land surrounds the PNT .
The Pigeon Lake Provincial Park sites and Mount Butte Natural Area are to the southeast and south respectively.
|Site Name||Strawberry Creek (PNT)|
|Site Type||Natural Area|
|Subtype||Protective Notation (PNT)|
|Natural Region(s)||Central Mixedwood|
|O.C. No. (Land Ref. Manual)||N/A|
|PASite ID (Map Ref #)||242|
|Site # (Parks Website)||N/A|
|Total Area||129.30 ha. (319.51 ac.)|
|Notes and Comments|
The following links are provided as a courtesy but are not verified or endorsed by SAPAA. Clicking on the link will cause you to leave the SAPAA website. Primary source of information is the Government of Alberta – (All links accessed on 2023-01-02).
- North Saskatchewan River Watershed Alliance, Strawberry Subwatershed
- Peel 5240: Geographic Board of Canada, Place-names of Alberta (1928) (ualberta.ca) [HT: not able to navigate to the term strawberry]
- Count of Leduc, Land Ownership Map
Editing, Review and Silence Procedure
[HT: Area size OK]
- FRANK: Publish page
- HUBERT/PATSY: Assign page for editing by update tbd in the Title (4-
- Review for readability and alignment to SAPAA organizational reputation.
- Best available image
- Review for accuracy including:
- Correct map and site statistics
- Area size is correct
- Standards (e.g. use of hyphens, spelling, etc.)
- References are accessible and and notes match
- Review for formatting, e.g.: Centered captions, No empty blocks
- TEAM: Last walk through
- Any final discussion or notes
- Remove [name] from title
- Add to log book for silence procedure
- Delete these notes.